Rising Stars - Honoring our outstanding young leaders
Nominate a "Rising Star!"
Starting in February 2020 in The Tennessee Magazine, this website and our social media pages, we will feature one young person a month who is a
- STUDENT in an SVEC-area school,
- is an outstanding young person
- is already serving their neighborhood, community or school.
- They are accomplishing GREAT things while they’re still in high school, middle-school or even elementary school.
We want to honor these students and make sure they realize how proud we are of them and how excited we are to see the world grow in their hands.
Any organization, community or country is only as strong as its leaders. That is why electric cooperatives across the country invest in youth leadership development programs. Our youth are our future leaders. However, all across our service area, there are outstanding young people who are already taking leadership roles and making great strides to enhance their schools and communities. We are asking our membership to help us recognize some of these young leaders. See the guidelines and nomination form below.
1. Due date for nominations — the 15th of each month through October 2020. Nominations received after the 15th will be held for the next month. Those not recognized the month nominated will be considered in following months.
2. One nominee will be recognized in the SVEC section of The Tennessee Magazine February-December 2020, with the exception of September. Each will receive a $250 cash award.
3. In April 2021, one of the 10 individuals will be named the overall winner and will be further honored with a $1,000 donation to the cause or civic organization of his or her choice. SVEC members will be allowed to vote for their favorite nominees in the competition for the overall winner. Details for voting will be announced at voting time.
4. Each nominee must be the child or legal guardian of a Sequachee Valley Electric Cooperative member, attend school in the SVEC service area and be a U.S. citizen or permanent legal resident. Nominators must also be members of SVEC.
5. All nominations must include a story that details the student’s leadership, civic and volunteer involvement and accomplishments and how his or her work has enhanced the community.
6. SVEC employees, board members and their immediate families are not allowed to participate in the contest or win contest prizes.