Accidentally touching a power line can be dangerous and even deadly. SVEC wants our members to stay safe around power lines.
Whether you are working outdoors on a landscaping project or playing with your children, keep a safe distance away from power lines and other electrical equipment SVEC uses to get electricity to your home.
Always remember to:
- Stay away from power lines, transformers, meters and electrical boxes.
- Don't climb trees near power lines.
- Never fly kites, remote control airplanes, drones or balloons near power lines.
- If you get something stuck in a power line, call SVEC immediately.
- Keep a safe distance away from power lines when working with a ladder. Remember to look up!
- Never touch or go near a downed power line.
- Never touch anything that may be in contact with a downed power line, such as a tree or car.
- Keep children and pets away from downed power lines.
- Remember power lines can also be buried underground, so always "Call Before You Dig"- dial 811 from any phone and utility workers will come out and check the area for underground lines before you dig.